Monday 19 January 2015

Colin Price's experience of 'Guernsey' cattle.

Hi friends,
On a previous blog I shared an image of a close-up of a number of cattle that I named 'Just curious'.
A framed print of this image was seen by a local farmer's wife, Sue, during our local photography exhibition. Sue then decided to commission myself to produce a number of framed prints so that she could hang them on the wall in her farmhouse.
As previously arranged, I met Sue so that she could introduce me to the farm land and the 'Guernsey' herd. On approaching the cattle Sue pointed to a bull and mentioned that 'Victor' was her favorite of all of the herd. Sue asked "would you please include a close-up of Victor's face in your final images"
As we crossed the field and closer to Victor he started kicking the turf with his right foot and snorting loudly. Now either this was my lucky day where Victor was trying to kill ants whilst suffering from a blocked nose or I was in deep trouble?
Sue quickly led me to the surrounding fence and we safely climbed into the adjoining field.
She said "since Victor has been a part of the herd, this is the first time that he has shown any aggression, although Guernsey bull's are known to be the most aggressive of all bulls", now she tell's me.
The day came when I had gathered all of my images together, Victor's close-up was the one remaining.
I did not have a plan, so when I approached the field containing some thirty heifers plus Victor the bull I was quite nervous.I could see Victor on his own, grazing near the centre of the field.
I could see a large oak tree not far from Victor, so after leaving my camera bag at the gate ( just in case I needed to make a quick exit) i walked towards Victor making sure that the tree was between him and myself so that he could not see me.
As I rested my back against the tree, adjusting my camera settings and gathering my thoughts, I wondered, what if Victor does not want his picture taken, ( he was an ugly bull with one and a half horns) and really I did want him to look at me otherwise I will not be able to take his front profile.
The plan now was to show myself to Victor, take the image and if he decides to attack then just run around the trunk until he gets dizzy- no, I could not see this being successful either.
I waved at Victor he looked me in the eye, I took one image, I turned around, I ran like mad, I leaped over the gate looked back and Victor had not moved an inch.
How brave was I?
As well as victor I have included some other images of Sue's Guernseys.





  
                                                              Victor on a kind day

                                       
                                                                         Posers                              
                                                       "They can't possibly see us"
            "Don't look at the camera, he think's he's a great photographer, we know differently"

No comments:

Post a Comment